Energy is something we could all use some more of, and thankfully superfoods are here to help. One of the greatest things about using superfoods to help our bodies stay stronger and healthier is that there’s almost always one readily available to solve just about any problem - even when it comes to helping us stay awake!
You know how it goes: sometimes you wake up and want to hit snooze for another hour, and other times you wake up ready to start the day, but need a nap by 2 pm. Luckily, unlike medication, your intake of superfoods can be switched up daily. Even if you just need that extra boost to get you to the gym after a long day of work, superfoods are here to help.
That being said, if you’re feeling super exhausted and can’t seem to find any relief, it may be time to talk to your doctor. Otherwise, to help take care of those everyday yawns, try incorporating these superfoods into your diet when you’re feeling a bit sleepy.
Trouble waking up? Try: Flax seed powder
We’ve all been there. While getting out of bed can be a difficult feat everyday for some people, even for the morning lark some mornings can be particularly painful. That being said, if you’re having trouble waking up, consider adding some flax seed to your morning routine! High levels of Omega-3 fatty acids in flax seeds give them the power to stabilize energy levels, keeping you more energized when you might otherwise feel drained. Try out this recipe for a morning smoothie to start your day on the right note:
Almond Butter, Banana, and Flax Smoothie
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons flax seed powder
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- Blend all ingredients and enjoy.
Afternoon slump? Try: Chlorella powder
Dozing off around 2 pm is just as bad as - if not worse than - struggling to get up in the morning. Trying to peel your eyes open while you stare at a computer screen all afternoon can be a real downer on any day, but luckily there’s a special superfood trick that we just love to share! Chlorophyll is a lesser-known superfood that’s jam packed full of antioxidants, and has “super” detoxifying powers. Therefore, by consuming chlorophyll in the middle of the day, we can get rid of all the waste we’ve accumulated up until then. By bringing just one teaspoon of chlorella powder - which is full of the green stuff! - to work, and mixing it into a glass of water or cup of tea, you have all of the necessary ingredients to make the perfect energizing drink for the midday slump.
Heading to the gym? Try: Maca root powder
It’s hard to get through a long day of work and still get to the gym afterwards, but utilizing superfoods as an energy supplement can make it a bit easier to get your daily exercise in. While there are tons of superfood powders that can help increase energy levels, one of our personal favorites is maca root powder, which is known for decreasing stress and increasing energy! Before heading to the gym, it’s important to eat an appropriate snack, and anything filled with maca is a great idea. Check out these maca energy bars for some inspiration:
Raw Maca Energy Bars
- 1-2 tablespoons maca powder
- 1 cup macadamia nuts or cashews (if possible soak them overnight before using to help make them softer)
- 1 cup dates or figs
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- (optional) cacao powder, other nuts or dried fruit of your choice
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender on low setting. Blend to combine all ingredients just until they are chopped finely but not yet forming a paste/butter.
- Remove the ingredients and press them into a square pan covered with wax or parchment paper. Allow them to harden in the refrigerator and then cut them into 4 bars. Wrap each bar individually and store them in the refrigerator or freezer until needed.