When symptoms of flu arise, natural healers and health conscious individuals turn to the elderberry to work its magic on stubborn viruses. Known for their medicinal properties, they provide effective defense against ailments like coughs, colds, and bronchitis, and can relieve allergies and hay fever, soothe a sore throat, combat sinusitis, lower fever, and treat emphysema. Talk about a miracle berry!
Before consuming, elderberries should be boiled down into a syrup, as they do contain low levels of naturally-occurring toxins. By boiling, the toxins are completely removed, leaving a safe, toxin-free syrup. Use in your tea, or take a teaspoon a day!
- 3 quarts of Water
- 2 Cups of Dried Elderberries
- 2 Sticks Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Peppercorns
- 1-2 tsp Cloves
- 2" piece of Ginger (Chopped or Grated)
- 1/2 Cup honey (more if you desire)
1. Combine all of the above ingredients in a pot (except the honey)
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1/2 hour or so.
3. Strain the mixture into a bowl, add 1/2 to 1 C. Add honey while warm so it will blend well.
4. Place in a glass jar or bowl and store in the refrigerator.
5. Use 1-2 tsp a day to kick that cold!