You've likely heard some buzz about the ketogenic diet lately. In this style of eating, around 80 percent of your daily calories come from fat, around 15 percent from protein and around 5 percent from carbohydrates. The intention is to put your body into a metabolic state called ketosis, which burns fat instead of sugar. This leads to weight loss, increased energy, mental clarity and many other potential benefits.
If you're learning about ketogenic foods, you may also have seen one of the most popular keto diet recipes: fat bombs! They're similar to energy bites, but the main ingredient is, of course, healthy fat. They're very convenient for on the go snacking, or a sweet treat after a meal. Even if you're not eating keto, you can still enjoy these! Healthy fats are important for any diet, as they keep you satiated, can help you lose weight and reduce bad cholesterol levels.
This recipe is packed with fat from the coconut oil and almond butter, plus vitamins, minerals and antioxidants from the cacao powder to boost the immune system and elevate your mood.
Superfood Chocolate Fat Bombs
- ½ cup Raw Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Raw Almond Butter
- 2-3 tablespoons Raw Cacao Powder
- Sweetener like stevia to taste
- Splash of vanilla extract (optional)
- In a large skillet over low heat melt coconut oil and almond butter
- Slowly stir in cocoa powder and stevia
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract
- Pour mixture into silicone candy molds
- Freeze until set
- Remove from molds and store in the fridge in an airtight container