Organic Yacon Powder (Raw)
Our Organic Raw Yacon Powder is a great low-calorie and low-glycemic sweetener that tastes great and helps keep blood sugar stable throughout the day. Yacon Powder is a unique source of Fructooligosaccharides (FOS), a type of sugar that breaks down slowly and passes through the body without absorption.
A Natural and Low-Glycemic Sweetener
Our Raw Yacon Root Powder is not only a wonderful sweetener for diabetics and those watching their sugar intake, this amazing powder has beneficial health properties that provide a wide range of defenses for overall good nutrition.
- Low glycemic index
- 100% pure
Capturing the Amazing Benefits of FOS
The Yacon root is considered one of the world’s richest sources of fructooligosaccharides (FOS), a type of sugar or inulin that can’t be absorbed by the human body. It passes gently through the human system without effect on blood sugar. FOS is low on the glycemic index and breaks down slowly in the body.
One of the most amazing things about the FOS in our Organic Raw Yacon Powder is that it acts as a probiotic, providing food for the “good” bacteria in the digestive tract. Friendly intestinal flora like lactobacillus and bifidobacteria are encouraged to flourish, which has a positive effect on good colon health. The presence of FOS in the intestines is important because it improves absorption of vitamins, especially the B vitamin complex.
The FOS in our Organic Raw Yacon Powder has been known to increase bone density and prevent osteoporosis. It also aids in digestion, helping the body to absorb essential minerals like calcium and magnesium. FOS may contribute to the elimination of toxins that accumulate in the body.
Our Organic Raw Yacon Powder benefits from FOS’s ability to act as an antioxidant. FOS is also a rich source of potassium, and it increases the production of short-chain fatty acids, such as butyrate.
A Versatile and Healing Raw Powder
The yacon root is a large, crisp tuber, which is the root of the perennial Yacon plant. The South Americans have consumed this wild, sprawling plant as a powerful health food for centuries. The Yacon originated in the Andes, where natives revere its power to heal.
Often called the “apple of the earth,” the Yacon root is sweet and juicy, providing a delicate crunch when enjoyed raw. Our Organic Raw Yacon Powder is ground from raw yacon root slices that have been dried at low temperatures in order to retain the nutritive properties of the root. This natural sweetener, which is related to the Jerusalem artichoke and sunflowers, is a great way to add flavor to raw desserts, shakes, and baked goods. Our Organic Raw Yacon Powder can be substituted like-for-like for sugar in volume, while providing many nutritional benefits not found in sugar.
If cared for properly, our Organic Raw Yacon Powder has a shelf life of two to three years. To preserve the freshness of this product:
- Avoid exposure to heat. The powder will remain fresh if stored at room temperature or below.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
- Squeeze all of the air out of the bag before sealing.
- Seal the bag tightly after each use.
- Store the powder in a dry place, and avoid all contact with moisture.
We package all of our superfood powders in all-natural brown kraft bags, each with a resealable zipper across the top. Each bag has a thin metal lining, which serves as a very effective barrier to light, oxygen, odors, flavors, moisture, and bacteria.
While printed plastic bags with clear windows may look beautiful, studies have shown that the toxins contained in the plastic are absorbed by food that is in direct contact with the plastic. Foods that are raw and all-natural, like superfood powders, are even more susceptible to this type of contamination than processed foods.
Aricoma, Arboloco, Aricona, Arikuma, Colla, Chiriguano, Ipio, Jacn, Jicama, Jiquima, Jikima, Jiquimilla, Leafcup, Llacon, Llacoma, Mexican Potato, Polaco, Ppoire de Terre, Otato Bean, Puhe, Shicama, Taraca, Yacn, Yacuma, Yacumpi
Country of Origin
While much research is still being conducted, some of the possible health benefits of our Organic Raw Yacon Powder may include:
- Very low glycemic index rating
- May be useful in boosting energy and metabolism
- May help to lower high cholesterol levels
- May be effective in normalizing blood sugar levels
- May be helpful in reducing high blood pressure
- Contains antioxidants, which studies have shown may help to destroy free radicals
- May aid in reducing the risk of osteoporosis
- Contains compounds that studies have shown may possess probiotic and antioxidant properties
- May help to improve digestion
- May be effective in stimulating the body to break down excess fatty cells
- May be useful in enhancing the absorption of calcium and magnesium
- Contains compounds that may possess natural antibacterial and anti-fungal properties
- May improve the elimination of toxins
- May help to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis
- High inulin content, a complex sugar that breaks down slowly into fructooligosaccharides (FOS)
The recommended daily usage is 1-2 teaspoons.
As with all superfood powders, listen to your body, as you may find that either a smaller or higher intake is more suitable to your body. We recommend that you start with the recommended daily amount, and, if desired, gradually increase or decrease your daily consumption.
This powder blends well with juice, rice or soy milk, and yogurt, or can be added to your favorite smoothie. It can also be mixed into your homemade energy bars. While you can add this powder to a variety of recipes, raw food enthusiasts avoid cooking or heating in order to preserve the food's nutritional value.
From the Blog
RECOMMENDED BY DR. OZ ON HIS SHOW ON NOVEMBER 4, 2013!
The information on this page has not been evaluated by the FDA or any other medical experts. Statements on this web site are not intended to be a replacement for medical advice from your personal physician. Please read our Site Disclaimer for additional information.
Be the first to review this product.
- 1 Pound Bag = $19.97 ($19.97/lb) 5 Pound Bag = $93.97 ($18.79/lb) 10 Pound Bag = $179.97 ($17.99/lb)
- In stock
- Calculated at Checkout