You know the drill - your alarm sounds at 6 a.m. and you’re already looking forward to getting back into bed at the end of the day. It’s no secret that mornings are tough, but for some of us night owls, waking up for work can be dreadful. While tea or coffee is usually our go-to morning fix, we also like to utilize the magic powers of superfoods to help wake us up. When you start the day off with delicious antioxidant-filled goodness, you’re bound for success.
While there are many superfoods that help increase energy levels, there are four in particular that we love to eat in the morning because of how easily they can be incorporated into our breakfast foods. See the list below and check out the recipes for some inspiration to kickstart your day with an energy boost that’s also jam-packed with health benefits:
Peruvian and Bolivian warriors were reaping the benefits of maca root powder long before the time of the Incas. Before battle, men would consume maca in order to give them the energy and stamina they needed for the long journey ahead. We know that sometimes just getting to work in the morning can feel like a battle, so whipping up some maca energy bars to enjoy throughout the week can make you feel ready for anything!
Recipe: Raw Maca “Energy Bars”
Makes 4 bars
- 1-2 tablespoons maca powder
- 1 cup macadamia nuts or cashews (if possible soak them overnight)
- 1 cup dates or figs
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 tbsp cacao powder, other nuts or dried fruit of your choice
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender on low setting. Blend to combine all ingredients just until they are chopped finely but not yet forming a paste/butter.
- Remove the ingredients and press them into a square pan covered with wax or parchment paper. Allow them to harden in the refrigerator and then cut them into 4 bars. Wrap each bar individually and store them in the refrigerator or freezer until needed.
The detoxifying power of the chlorophyll in chlorella powder neutralizes and forces free radicals out of our bodies via urination and excretion, allowing our bodies to focus on what we need - the energy to get through the day! Chlorella powder allows us to get the levels of chlorophyll we need without consuming tons of leafy greens in the morning. Plus, you can bring chlorella powder right to the office to keep that morning boost going even a little later in the day.
Recipe: Chlorella Water
- 1 tsp chlorella powder
- 8 oz glass of water
- Mix and enjoy!
High levels of Omega-3 fatty acids in flax seeds give them the power to stabilize energy levels, keeping you more energized when you might otherwise feel drained. Add flax seed to your morning smoothies to keep you alert and ready to start your day.
Recipe: Antioxidant Rich Smoothie
- 1 cup water or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon Pomegranate Juice Powder
- ½ avocado, pitted, peeled
- 2 tablespoons flax seed powder
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- Add all ingredients to your blender, mix, and enjoy!
- Almond Butter- Not only does almond butter help us produce more energy, but it also works to synthesize the fatty acids needed for energy storage. When you consume almond butter first thing in the morning, you’re less likely to fall into that afternoon slump later, because your body has the goods it need to get through to the evening. Plus, it goes great with cacao powder, so can you really go wrong?
Recipe: Almond Butter Chocolate Shake
- 1 cup organic soy or almond milk
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1 tablespoon organic almond butter
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon flax seed powder
- Place all ingredients in blender.
- Blend, pour into a tall glass, and enjoy.