This plant-based superfood has been gaining a lot of popularity over the past years, among a variety of diets. But what is hemp? And how can we add it to our diet? Let's take a deeper look!
Hemp is a form of the Cannabis plant, but don’t worry - the only effect this superfood has is better health. Hemp has been used throughout history as a component in major goods including everything from cars to cloth, but we prefer to use hemp as a component in our diets! While much research is still being conducted, some of the most common health benefits of hemp include the promotion of brain functioning, skin, hair, and bone health, as well as the regulation of metabolic activity.
How do we eat hemp?
When mature, the hemp plant produces tons of seeds. Hemp seeds have been called the perfect protein - and not surprisingly, because they’re comprised of 49% protein, 17% fiber, and 12% fat. As a result, they are commonly enjoyed by vegans, athletes, and health conscious individuals. Athletes especially appreciate these seeds when they’re ground into an extremely effective plant-based protein powder. The fatty acids in this protein powder play an important role in optimizing the cardiovascular and immune systems as well as assisting the body in fat-burning during exercise.
Convinced yet? We know it can be difficult to introduce a brand new food into your meals, so we’ve collected a few of our favorite hemp recipes to get you started! Enjoy, superfoodies!
Hemp Seed Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese or 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Kosher salt to taste (about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon is a good amount)
- Combine all ingredients and process in a food processor until smooth.
Super Seed Trifecta Granola
- 3 cups crisp brown rice cereal
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup shelled hemp seeds
- ½ cup brown flax seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons flax oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 275. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- Heat the wet ingredients in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and thoroughly combine. Divide the mixture between the two baking sheets and spread out evenly.
- Bake the granola for 45 minutes.
- Once done, let cool completely before transferring to an air-tight container.
Banana Hemp Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- 1 medium banana
- 2 tablespoons hemp protein powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup mixed berries
- 1 serving green superfood powder
- Add all of the ingredients into your blender and blend on high until desired consistency is reached.