Now that the weather’s warming up, we’re all about fresh vegetables and raw smoothies! Springtime is a great excuse to cook up some delicious culinary creations filled with bright and refreshing superfoods. The temps can make us feel heavy, and all we want to eat is a light and airy salad.
This is one of our favorites, with seasonal flavors and some great health benefits. Acerola cherry powder contains 65 times the Vitamin C content of an orange, while the chia seeds and coconut oil provide an abundance of essentially fatty acids. Topped with tasty goldenberries - a great alternative to other sugary dried fruits - for added antioxidants and vitamin B12. This would be a perfect side dish on any menu, or as a healthy meal on its own!
Recipe: Strawberry Chia Superfood Salad
For the dressing:
- ¼ teaspoon Acerola Powder
- One handful fresh basil
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup orange juice plus 2 tablespoons, plus zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds plus extra for topping on salad
For the salad:
- 5 cups broccoli florets cut into small pieces (about 2 small heads)
- 2 cups kale thinly sliced
- 10 strawberries, sliced
- 1 large orange peeled and cut into segments
- 1/4 cup Goldenberries
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Blend acerola powder, basil, cashews, orange juice, orange zest and lemon juice until smooth, about 30 seconds. With the blender running on low, drizzle in the olive oil and puree until dispersed, about 30 seconds. Add ⅛ teaspoon of salt, taste and add more as needed. Add chia seeds and blend for 10 seconds to combine. Allow dressing to sit in blender while you prepare the salad. Add chia seeds.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and 2 cups ice, set aside.
- In a pot large enough to fit the broccoli, submerge the florets completely water (about 1-inch above) and bring to a boil. Blanch broccoli for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until bright green. Transfer immediately to the ice bath and allow to cool until no longer warm. Drain florets well, set aside.
- In large bowl toss together the broccoli and kale. Toss with desired amount of dressing. Transfer to a large serving bowl and top with sliced strawberries, oranges, goldenberries, sunflower seeds, almonds and sprinkle with extra chia seeds.