The work-week lunch hour doesn’t have to mean ordering takeout from your desk or relying on your afternoon latte to fill you up. Instead, what if we told you there’s a way to bring delicious, healthy meals to work without spending hours of meal prep on Sunday? By taking the time to find some simple staple recipes that make great lunches, you can easily and quickly get set up for an easy prep of a week’s worth of winners.
Sound interesting? In order to help you get a head start at finding your new favorite go-to lunches, we’ve rounded up a few recipes that are simple to make and take to work. And of course, they’re jam-packed with superfoods. Check these out and pick your favorites - just be ready to hide your lunches from those jealous coworkers!
- Turmeric-Spiced Mushroom Pilaf - This rice pilaf recipe is spiced with turmeric, one of the superfood world’s newest stars. Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory benefits and is packed with antioxidants. Plus, this recipe is so easy to prepare and add to mason jars the night before a big work-day that you’ll wonder why you ever ordered takeout from the office to begin with.
- Pineapple Blueberry Salad With Lemon Chia Seed Dressing - Even when summer ends, it can live in your memory with this tropical-inspired salad. Some of the benefits are obvious; first, there’s blueberries, which are filled with iron, phosphorous, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc and vitamin K. These berries help prevent cancer and improve mental health while aiding in weight loss and fighting wrinkles. However, don’t miss those hidden benefits from the chia seeds that are so slyly added into the dressing. They’re a great source of Omega-3s and fiber - and some interesting texture!
- Superfood Salad - This salad has a deceptively simple name, because it has tons of ingredients that create an intricate taste. Our personal favorite superfood in this salad is the beet, which is great for lowering blood pressure levels, boosting stamina, and fighting inflammation. Feel free to add whatever superfoods you’d like into this salad, and add a vinaigrette during the day right before consuming.
- Green Goddess Sandwich - This gorgeous sandwich is packed full of sprouts like sunflower and alfalfa. Sprouts aid in detoxification and digestion, and they also contain tons of vitamins like calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, phosphorus, iron sulfides, choline, zinc, and beta-carotene, and Vitamins A, B, C, D, E and K - woah! We recommend preparing the avocado mixture right at your desk. Your coworkers will be gathering around before you can take a bite!
- Carrot Cumin Coconut Soup - This recipe fills 3 to 4 mason jars that can be saved in the fridge until work tomorrow… and the next day, and the next day! Get your daily dose of those good saturated fats in this soup’s coconut oil, which provides an immediate source of energy to get you through the day. Not to mention, that you’ll get to enjoy that delicious coconut flavor. Top with a tablespoon of hemp seeds for additional protein!