Perhaps one of the most difficult parts of maintaining a healthy and all-natural lifestyle is staying away from sugar. And while most things are okay in moderation, sugar can be dangerous due to its addictive qualities, so we try to do everything in our power to avoid it whenever possible.
That being said, it’s normal to crave something sweet once in a while, especially after a savory meal. So for situations such as those, we keep a secret stash of healthy dessert recipes. One of our favorites? Healthy raw cookie dough energy balls. Because seriously, what could be better than healthy cookie dough? Check it out below and keep it in mind for those days when you need some sweetness in your life.
Recipe: Healthy Raw Cookie Dough Energy Balls
Adapted from Eating by Elaine
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup almond meal or almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 cup raw, creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cacao chips
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir to combine the dry ingredients: oat flour, almond flour and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients: almond butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Stir until fully incorporated. The mixture will be thick. If you see dry flour, you may need to add a bit more almond butter.
- Gently stir in the cacao chips.
- Use your hands to form the dough into small balls (about 1 tablespoon of dough each and about 1 inch in diameter). You can enjoy the energy balls right away at room temperature. To store, place the energy balls in a container and store in your refrigerator.
- To last even longer, you can also store the balls in your freezer and allow them to thaw out a couple of minutes before enjoying each one. For this, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper. On the baking sheet leave a little space in between each ball. Place the baking sheet on an even surface in your refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.