The Fourth of July is just around the corner, which gives us a great excuse to celebrate with some of our favorite summer recipes! Holidays don’t always have to be about chips and cupcakes; in fact, they're a great opportunity to introduce new superfoods into our diets. Check out these healthy, delicious recipes that we plan on enjoying during our July 4th picnic this year!
Cabernet Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- 2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon (option to use balsamic vinegar instead)
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon Organic Coconut Butter
- 2 teaspoons Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Raw Organic Coconut Oil
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 (4 1/2-inch) squares focaccia, cut horizontally in half
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 8 large heirloom tomato slices
- 2 cups arugula
- Combine the wine and shallots in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the mixture has reduced to about 1/2 cup. Whisk in the butter and sugar; remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a grill to high heat. Brush the grates with oil, then place the mushrooms on the grill gill-side down. Brush the tops of the mushrooms with the cabernet sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes, then flip the mushrooms over. Brush the gill-side with additional sauce and cook for 5 minutes more. Flip the mushrooms one more time and brush the tops with the rest of the sauce. Once the mushrooms are easily pierced with a fork (the time depends on the thickness of the mushrooms, but most will be done after 15 minutes on the grill), top them each with a slice of cheese and transfer the mushrooms to a plate.
- Brush the cut sides of the bread with oil and sprinkle with rosemary. Place the bread, cut-side down, onto the grill and cook until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Top the bottom halves of the bread with the mushrooms, tomatoes, and arugula. Cover with the top halves of the bread.
Simple Seedy Slaw
- 2 cups finely sliced purple cabbage
- 2 cups finely sliced green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Up to ¾ cup mixed seeds (chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds)
- ¼ cup Raw Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a medium serving bowl, combine the prepared purple and green cabbage, carrots and parsley. Set aside.
- Measure out your seeds into a small skillet. Toast over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the seeds are fragrant and the pepitas are starting to make little popping noises. Pour the toasted seeds into the mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, combine the oil with 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Add the garlic, cumin and salt and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Drizzle the dressing over the slaw and toss until all of the ingredients are lightly coated in dressing. Taste and add an additional tablespoon of lemon juice if the slaw needs a little more zip. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate to marinate for up to several hours.
Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Raw Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- Optional garnishes: grilled lime wedges, cotija or feta crumbles, chopped cilantro
- Put a large pot of salted water on the stove and bring to a boil. Cut each sweet potato lengthwise into 4 pieces. Transfer to pot and simmer for about 15 minutes until just barely fork tender, but not mushy.
- Drain, being careful not to crush the potatoes, and dry well.
- Preheat grill to high heat. Place sweet potatoes on foil-lined baking sheet or platter, then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Grill on each side until lightly charred and crispy. Remove to serving dish and add grilled lime wedges, crumbled cotija or feta cheese, chopped cilantro, and another pinch of sea salt, to taste.
Acai Berry Popsicles
- 3 cups raspberries
- 2 bananas
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 2 tablespoons protein powder of choice
- 1 tablespoon Organic Acai Berry Powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blend all ingredients until smooth
- Pour into popsicle molds or if use an ice cube tray and popsicle sticks. Freeze 4-6 hours.
- Run frozen molds under warm water for about a minute to remove the popsicles.