Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and it will be here before we know it! Don’t forget that every dish holds new possibilities for adding a nutritional boost with superfoods. Don’t be afraid to experiment and try out some of these healthy recipes to satisfy your craving for delicious and nutritious. They’re simple crowd pleasers to put together, and will leave your guests feeling satisfied and healthy!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Chia Seeds and Goji Berries
- ½ lb Brussels sprouts
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
- ¼ cup Goji Berries
- 4-5 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and half the Brussels sprouts. Dry roast the chia seeds in a non stick pan on medium high heat, for about 3-4 minutes. When you see them brown slightly, immediately remove and put in a bowl.
- In a large pan, heat one tablespoon of coconut oil and fry the onions until golden brown and nicely caramelized. Set aside.
- In the same pan add some more of the remaining coconut oil and roast the Brussels sprouts face down and then flip. Each side should take about 3-4 minutes on high heat.Once all the Brussels sprouts are done, add the onions back in. Add the toasted chia seeds and add the goji berries last. Toss and stir and season with salt and pepper.
Herbed Wild Rice and Quinoa Stuffing with Goldenberries
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice blend
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 ½ cups Dried Goldenberries
- 1 cup raw pecans, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ cup fresh sage leaves, minced
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Add the oil. When hot, add the onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the apples, garlic, thyme, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for one more minute. Stir in wine, then add broth. Bring to a boil. Stir in the wild rice blend and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until the rice is tender, about 35 minutes. Stir in the quinoa and cover again. Cook until the quinoa is tender, about 15 more minutes. Stir in the goldenberries, pecans, 1/2 cup parsley, and sage. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Rub a large (9-inch x 13-inch is best) casserole dish with a little olive oil. Lightly scoop the rice mixture into the casserole dish, lightly mounding it instead of mashing it down.
- Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and sprinkle with remaining chopped parsley. Serve.
No Bake Acai Tart
- 1 cup raw almonds
- ¼ cup unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 2 tbsp date syrup
Acai Berry Tart Filling:
- 3 ½ cups blueberries
- 1 ½ cup sliced strawberries
- 2 tsp Acai Berry Powder
- ¼ cup date sugar
- ¼ cup light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- Place the almonds in a food processor with coconut, date syrup and process until the dates are broken down and mixed in well with other ingredients. It should be a thick paste-like mixture.
- Place crust mixture into a tart pan and mold the crust to the pan with fingers, then refrigerate.
- Place 2 cups blueberries, acai powder, date sugar, coconut milk, vanilla, lemon juice, and tapioca flour in food processor and process ingredients until smooth.
- Place berry tart filling in small saucepan and heat on low to medium-low heat stirring constantly for 3-5 minutes until it thickens to a consistency of pudding, then allow to cool completely.
- Add 1 cup blueberries to saucepan and fold into pie filling until combined.
- Pour tart filling into prepared tart pan and top with remaining blueberries and sliced strawberries.
- Place in the refrigerator to set for minimum 1 hour or until ready to serve.