You may have heard It’s beneficial to soak or sprout foods like nuts, seeds, beans and grains, but have you ever wondered why? You may even already be purchasing sprouts regularly, but never really understood why it’s important. Let’s dive into one of my favorite topics, sprouting, to learn about this useful practice!
Sprouted foods (namely, grains, beans and seeds) are loaded with vitamins and minerals. When the seeds are germinated, through their initial contact with water in the sprouting process, their nutritional content changes dramatically. They become higher in protein, lower in carbohydrates, and develop a host of vital live enzymes.
These foods are also far easier to digest once sprouted, because the process breaks down phytic acid, a compound that makes it tough for the body to absorb nutrients and minerals. Most people don’t realize the importance of soaking and sprouting foods before eating them or cooking with them in order to make them more digestible, particularly grains which contain gluten.
The process of sprouting is actually quite simple. To do this at home, all you need to do is soak your seeds, nuts, grains and beans for the appropriate amount of time (this is a useful chart). During the first few days of sprouting, a newly developing sprout is loaded with potential energy: the life source necessary for the seed to grow. As the sprout grows and matures into a plant, this concentrated energy is diluted. At this point the sprout can either be harvested to be used for sprout powder, or change from a sprouted seed to a young plant.
If you don’t want to manually go through the process of sprouting at home (it can be time consuming!), you can easily purchase already sprouted powders. In fact, we offer a large variety of sprouts here at Sunburst Superfoods.
The sprouts used for these sprout powders are sprouted only for a short period of time, and are harvested at the exact time when they are at their maximum level of nutritional and enzymatic value. At this point in the sprout's development, the Vitamins, minerals, and important phytochemicals are in their most potent form, and are in their most readily bioavailable, digestible state.
After the young sprouts have reached this optimum level of development, they are harvested and slow-dried at low temperatures. Drying at low temperatures is extremely important so that the live enzymes in the sprouts remain alive. After the drying process, the sprouts are then gently ground into a fine powder and can be stored for up to two years.
How to Use Sprouts
There are many different ways to enjoy sprouts, whether you soak and sprout things yourself or purchase powders. You’ll find regardless of the method, that foods in this form are far easier to digest. You can also be sure you’re enjoying a high nutrient content of vitamins, minerals, protein, antioxidants and enzymes.
- Grains: Use sprouted powders in baking, add to smoothies or sprinkled over salads.
- Nuts: Toss powders in a smoothie, over yogurt or cereal, or add to baked goods and granola. Using sprouted nuts, make your own nut milk or eat sprouted almonds as snacks. Keep in mind that only raw nuts will sprout if you’re doing it yourself.
- Beans: Cook and eat right away. Add powders to soups or salads or even breads and other baked goods.
- Seeds: Again, only truly raw seeds will sprout if you do it yourself. Put them on sandwiches, or over salads and soups, or in smoothies.
The Complete List of Sprout Powders
Here’s a list of all the sprout powders we offer, including blends, and their benefits:
- Raw Organic Soy Sprout Powder: Made up of a 41% complete protein, and contains bioflavonoids and phytochemicals, like genestin, which helps to fight disease.
- Raw Organic Wheat Sprout Powder: A staple, delivers the nutrients of ancient wheat in a digestible form. High in vitamins C and E.
- Raw Organic Quinoa Sprout Powder: One of the few plant-based source of complete protein, containing all of the essential amino acids. It contains more high-quality protein than any grain.
- Raw Organic Alfalfa Sprout Powder: A nutrient-rich whole food that contains live enzymes, is loaded with vitamins and minerals, and contains a 34% protein. Known for reducing “bad” cholesterol and improving “good” cholesterol.
- Raw Organic Spelt Sprout Powder: Contains a high bioavailability of nutrients due to its water solubility and provides a great source of iron, vitamins and minerals, protein and fiber.
- Raw Organic Mung Bean Sprout Powder: Provides a great source of protein and energy, as well as high amounts of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and enzymes.
- Raw Organic Barley Sprout Powder: One of the highest concentrations of protein, vitamins, minerals, bioflavonoids, and phytochemicals in the plant world. Also a great cholesterol reducers and antioxidant source.
- Raw Organic Buckwheat Sprout Powder: Technically not a grain, although often used like one, buckwheat is one of the most complete sources of protein on the planet. It’s gluten and wheat free.
- Raw Organic Fenugreek Sprout Powder: One of the world's oldest medicinal herbs and regarded as a cure for practically everything including inflammation, indigestion, arthritis, high cholesterol and high blood sugar.
- Raw Organic KAMUT® Khorasan Wheat Sprout Powder: Thought to be a hybrid descendant of Egyptian wheat, and is now a patented product in the United States. It contains a higher protein, vitamin, and mineral content that traditional wheat sprout powders and is lower in carbohydrates.
- Raw Organic Oat Sprout Powder: A great source of soluble fiber, vitamins and minerals, making it one of the most potent sources of nutrition that you’ll find. It can also help reduce cholesterol and enhance the immune system.
- Raw Organic Millet Sprout Powder: Originated in Asia, it’s a complete food source high in protein, vitamin B, copper, and manganese, as well as many essential amino acids.
- Raw Organic High-Protein Sprout Powder Mix: A healthy combination of soy, alfalfa, quinoa, and mung bean sprouts to deliver a highly potent blend of nutrients and a high-energy dose of bio-available protein.
- Raw Organic Deluxe Sprout Powder Mix: A blend of all 12 of our sprout powders, this product provides an extremely potent blend of protein, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
- Raw Organic Multigrain Sprout Powder Mix: A blend of highly nutritious sprout powders, including alfalfa, barley, buckwheat, kamut, oat, millet, spelt, and wheat, all of which are packed with life-giving energy.