Ah, pesto. One of the delicious, lesser known ways to enjoy the health benefits of superfoods. Though traditionally made with basil, olive oil, parmesan cheese and pine nuts, pesto is actually as versatile as any other pasta sauce. The opportunities for incorporating superfoods into the mix are endless! Below are just three recipes that will change the way you look at this earthy sauce forever. Serve them right away, or pour into ice cube trays to freeze, so you can pull them out for an easy, anytime meal.
Beetroot plays a significant role in cardiovascular health. While purifying and improving the circulation of blood, beetroot also contains dimethylglycine (also known as DMG) which promotes a healthy, happy heart. This recipe not only provides all the health benefits of beetroot, but it also turns your plain pasta a beautiful shade of pink! Who doesn’t love a healthy and pretty meal?
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup raw slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons Beetroot Powder
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Minced fresh chives, for garnish
- Mix together in a food processor and add Kosher salt for taste.
- Serve over pasta, with roasted vegetables or as a snack with crackers. Enjoy!
Hemp Seed Pesto
Hemp seeds are high in iron and vitamin E, helping you maintain healthy, age-defying skin, as well as strong, shiny hair.It’s simple, quick and you can swap it in for any less-than-healthy pesto recipe.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese or non-dairy substitute
- 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Kosher salt to taste (about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon is a good amount)
- Combine all ingredients and process in a food processor until smooth… Super simple. This would be great in vegetable lasagna or pizza!
Greenpower Mix Pesto
What if I told you you could get your pasta fix with a hefty side of health benefits?By incorporating Greenpower Blend Powder into your pesto, you can reduce cravings and facilitate weight loss, stabilize blood sugar and boost your immune system. Delicious and nutritious!
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Greenpower Blend Mix
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or non-dairy substitute
- 1/3 cup Pine Nuts
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and fresh-cracked pepper to taste
- Mix together in a food processor and add to your favorite pasta or vegetable noodles!